Friday, 16 March 2012

‘Mauritian Nigella’ wins MasterChef 2012

 
Shelina Permalloo has been crowned winner of MasterChef 2012 after her exotic concoctions won over the pallettes of judges John Torode and Gregg Wallace.
The wonderfully named Ms Permalloo – whose parents are from Mauritius – beat off fellow finalists Andrew Kojima and Tom Rennolds after several weeks of intense competition.
She is only the second woman to win the BBC1 show in 8 years.
Ms Permalloo’s final menu featured an Octupus starter, a mutton curry and a dessert of mango cannelloni stuffed with lime curd.
Torode and Wallace said the 29-year-old, from Tooting, south London, brought ‘sunshine to a plate’.
A thrilled Ms Permalloo paid tribute to her mother who she said was her inspiration.  “I am completely and utterly overwhelmed. I never thought it was going to be me that would win.  My mum is a brilliant cook. I learnt everything from her. I'm basically her sous chef.  She taught me to cook by intuition: never by using scales, always by sight and taste. So I developed a strong palate from a young age.  I only ate Mauritian food growing up as it gave our family that affinity of being close to the island.'
She revealed to fans on her Twitter micro-blogging site that she was keen to set up her own venue.
She said: 'I would love to have my own restaurant. Hopefully one day. I don't have a cookbook yet but if I do there will be plenty of vegetarian and vegan recipies.
Miss Permalloo was an initially an outsider to win the competition but her popularity with the audience has grown in recent weeks.
- UKAsian Staff

‘Mauritian Nigella’ wins MasterChef 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment